Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Is your brain there even if you never saw it?

I had to get a brain scan the other day. That's right. A brain scan. Scary right? You know what's even scarier? The "idea" of having your brain scanned. I mean it is one of those organs that you really take for granted. You assume it's there and in some kind of working order, depending on how many mind erasers you drank the previous night. I was going along happily with that assumption and then one small minuscule event had me head first in an MRI machine (which loosely translates into ear splitting, mind numbing, eye bleeding machine) . This thing has more rhythm than a drumming circle. I tried to listen to the radio that they pipe to you via headphones but they really only piped static with small increments of really loud music that nearly makes you want to rip off said headphones and head for the door. I started counting the beats per rhythm section. It calmed me and made me think about something other than the magnetic vibes dancing around my cranial area. About 15 minutes into the fun I get this little internal message (via the headphones) that I would be getting a shot to enhance their viewing pleasure. I hate shots. Most normal people do. I hate shots even more when encased in a tomb like device that pounds and throbs and I feel very much like someone being abducted for alien experimentation. I get the shot. Ouch. Now I fill with some sort of dye so that my brain can be illuminated. Charming. I finally get out of the building in relatively one piece. As I change out of the XXL scrubs that they gave me to change into (after removing all metal items from my body) I realize that I left my bra on. Guess I showed them a thing or two. I am a rebellious... uh, rebel. About 15 minutes later I'm wandering the aisles of Albertsons trying to decide what to make for dinner. I look like everyone else in there who wanders zombie-like up and down the aisles in the quest for a perfect meal or reasonable facsimile. I don't look like someone who just got their brain scanned.

Two days later and I still haven't heard word on the results. This is profoundly disturbing for a person like me who can imagine all sorts of things if given adequate time. Do you know what an adequate amount of time is? A few hours. This was TWO DAYS AGO!!! I am freaking out. I have all sorts of ideas on why the doctor hasn't called me to give me the devastating news. I can't stand it anymore and I call his cell phone. Yeah, I have my doctor's cell phone. Long story. He sounds vaguely bored when he answers the phone. I tell him that I left him messages to call me with the results before I go off the deep end of my imagination. He sounds bored as he tells me his staff failed to give him my message. I asked him to finally tell me the results. I assume he has all the information at his elbow and just couldn't bring himself to call me. I am wrong. He barely remembers ordering the procedure and now that I dust off those memory cells he tells me he will check and call me back. He does. Several hours later. He can't find the results. Where did I have the test done?? Where?? The place you send me to... that's where?? I am still waiting to hear any news. One wonders why people don't trust the medical establishment. I trust my doctor but with too many patients and too little time, he really didn't worry about whether or not I had a brain and if said brain was doing something it wasn't suppose to be doing. Oh, here is the last component to this tale for the day... I got the scan because I have dizzy spells. Annoying and tip over strong dizzy spells. I roll over in the middle of the night and my mind keeps right on rolling. It's been two weeks and they won't stop so I dash off to the doctors and hence my fairy tale begins. I'll let you know if they find Dorothy and Toto wandering around tap dancing on my Labyrinth bone, panning for gold and other artifacts. Scan says??

No comments: